Monday, January 7, 2013

Meet Nyima

Nyima
Nyima has to be in his late 60's. We met in the chia shop over a breakfast of chapatti, omelette and chai. He does not speak English so we had a funny conversation with me practicing my very bad Tibetan and Hindi, the shopkeeper filling in the blanks and  lots of hand and facial expressions. I just love these conversations with older Tibetans because when in doubt they just laugh, which is a  great policy which I have  trying to adopt more.

 Anyway  I believe Nyima came out of Tibet 50 years ago not long after His Holiness fled to India. He is a skinny, tall man but by no means frail. Looking at Nyima, I bet he has lived through tough times, with basic amenities and very little luxuries. His robes were well worn and shoes broken and re-stitched.

Tso Pema
He lives in Tso Pema in Himachal Pradesh which is a holy lake of Guru Rinpoche. The lake has a few ministries as well as many meditators in the hills surrounding the lake. I would have like to know if he was a meditate and asked his advice on practice but I think his teaching to me was to laugh more. Nyima is also here for the teachings and will also visit Bodhgaya before heading back to Himachal Pradesh. 
He says I am welcome to come visit him anytime I am in Tso Pema; hey yi never know.http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travelblogs/751/43961/Rewalsar,+Tso+Pema,+Lotus+Lake,+Himachal+Pradesh,+India?destId=356262
 .



No comments:

Post a Comment