Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day 2 of Teachings in Sarnath
Teaching Buddha in main Sarnath Temple

Another great day at the feet of the Guru. His Holiness is really making the need to train ones mind away from negative selfish thoughts very clear. The Guide to the Bodhisattvas way of Life Text is the premier text on developing compassion and being less self centred  but as His Holiness said today,  is is hard work. He even likened the practice of training the mind to going to war against our own destructive emotions, i.e. the spiritual warrior. For those interested the text can be found  http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Bodhisattvas-Way-Life-Santideva/dp/8185102597/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357649436&sr=1-2&keywords=guide+to+the+bodhisattvas+way+of+life

Today we went through 3 chapters, which included the practice of conscientiouness and alertness. Both  practices very much needed when one is trying to train the mind toward more postaive/ virtious thoughts and actions. We are now working on the chapter on Patience and finished the day on verse 76 of 134 verse. It is the longest chapter so that alone shows how hard it is to vanquish anger. Anyway I think this chapter is a true gem with practicle advice on how to keep a lid on anger, why it is important to do so and how to use the the knowledge of emptiness in the paractice.  Now if only I can follow the instruction and keep it up !
"The enemy, anger creates sufferings but whomever assiduously overcomes it, finds happiness now and in the hereafter."  Shantideva


For anyone who interested  the teaching in Sarnath are on Live Web Cast at the following link.  http://www.dalailama.com  (India is ahead of the UK by approx. 5 hours; ahead of east coast USA by approx 10 hours and west coast USA by about 14 hours.)


Thupten Chodron
I also noticed today a highly respected western nun in the crowd.  She had written several excellent books one of which is based on Shantidevas text and is very good guide on overcoming anger.
Thupten Chodron
"Working With Anger can be found at   http://www.amazon.com/Working-Anger-Thubten-Chodron/dp/1559391634/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357650976&sr=1-4&keywords=thubten+chodron

Venerable Thupten Chodron has been a nun for over 20 years now and is an excellent teacher who can relate to our western mind and culture. She is based in Portland Oregon and her home page is at .http://www.thubtenchodron.org. She left such a positive impression on me years ago when I first met her, not only because she embodies kindness and patience but beacause I was able to understand the teaching more deeply due to her ability to connect with her audience.


D. Foundation.
After the teachings on the way back to the guest house as I weaved my way through the crowd, dogging rickshaws, cows and beggars I came upon a sign saying D Foundation with an arrow pointing down a muddy lane. This foundation also has a branch in Bodhgaya and last year I was hoping to learn more about their work with women.  So I took a detour and went to get more info. The Foundation has a few different project including a mobile health care unit and a small school I am however very interested in learning more about their work with homeless children, young men and women. I found out that the government houses homeless young people, providing them with basis food and shelter. Unfortunately the conditions are very bad, so D Foundation works with the government to first make the shelter more comfortable then also train the young people in some types of income generation and also tries to get some of the girls married into good families. There project is in Varanasi, a few miles away  so after the teachings I will visit and see for myself what the situation is and if I can contribute in some small way.. For  more info on D Foundation click on http://www.dfoundation.net  and http://www.roterlotus.org/en/dfoundation   

2 comments:

  1. Hi Linda!
    This is Kate, your ol' roommate from Capitola.
    I found your blog and I love it! I love the stories, photos and links. keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG KATE!!! how are you luv. I am so glad to hear from you I often wonder where you are and what your up to.... I am sorry but I am still trying to figure out how to answer the comments on the blog my e-mail is lnoble07@gmail.com please let me know what your doing and where you are. Much love and best wishes Linda HUGS !!

      Delete