Friday, January 18, 2013

Leper artist
 Meet an incredible artist

On my stroll the other day I met this lovely gentleman whose art work is not only beautiful  but a small miracle. He lives in the leper colony near the main ghat and due to his disease he has lost all of his fingers and toes but his smile and heart are huge. Most days he can be found on the steps of the river drawing in pen portraits of the various Hindu deities. His drawings are very fine and he seems to have the patience of a saint as every lines is a struggle for him. He has his pen strapped on to his stump at the base of where his thumb was. Unfortunately I could not speak much to him as I have very little Hindi  but he showed me how he worked and was more that happy to have someone admire his work. I believe he sells the drawings but made no effort to push me to buy  one, I think he is more interested to draw than make money. He is an amazing person who made me think about how often I say  " oh I can't do this or that", when really all I need to do is just enjoy trying and see the beauty than can appear.

Ganesha
Zhiva

No comments:

Post a Comment