Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Such a wonderful morning and I just cannot believe my luck/ good karma.

Link to placed His Holiness visited while in Srinagar.
http://www.risingkashmir.in/news/dalai-lama-visits-religious-places-in-city-30296.aspx

Grave of Sheikh Abdulla
Today His Holiness visited the resting place of Sheikh Mohammed Abduallah and his wife Begum Akbar Jehan Abdullah. The two grave sites sit side by side on the banks of Dal Lack just next to the most sacred Hazratbal Mosque; famous because it has a relic of the Prophet. i.e. a whisker form his beard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazratbal_Shrine

At 8 am, in our best dress my buddie Neil, who photographs His Holiness and I jumped into a tuk tuk in the hope beinging allowed into the event. We were very lucky.The grave site was in white marble which shone brilliantly in the blazing sun and with the gardens and the still waters of the lake, it has to be one of the most beautiful and peacefull  resting places in the world.

Sheikh Abdulladh's headstone
Showing  the NC flag

 The members of the National Conference, the political party founded by Sheikh Abduallah, were all present and patiently  and as we all waited for His Holiness to arrive, I had the chance to chat politely about politics, (of course since there were only 3 women present I  could not help but suggest that more women were included in the party; this suggestion was not so openly received but they agreed on my 50% of the population and women have different thinking argument, so that I think is good). We also shared some small jokes and the party members were most insistent that I take their photos which I have included for you. Really such good people and so open to have a wee foreigner crashing their HHDL audience, so a big thank you to the National Conference party.

Anyway HHDL arrived  and was so patient and respectful to everyone. He was especially respectfull at the grave sites taking time to sprinkle flowers and lay katha (white scarf) on each grave and really focused on saying prayers and offering his respects. I am always so impressed at how HHDL goes to great lengths to show respect to all the world religions and to all the political leaders who truly worked for the betterment of society and peaceful solution to the worlds conflicts. A few of the members of the party had no real idea of who His Holiness is and they came up to me asking questions and  were just so impressed with hi. One man even said to me " oh such good man."  So it was an honour and a huge pleasure to a present at some interfaith respect and a positive political alliance. HHDL of course conducted the whole visit because  every move he made the party member crowded around him. They had a group picture together and picture by the Sheikh's larger than life photo. Neil was in cloud 9 snapping photos and I was lucky to get some good video  footage, (HHDL laughing at me with camera in hand trying to all profesional as I got squished in the crowd a couple of times; hey no worries.)
with 2 NC ladies ( and 1 gent) 

After leaving His Holiness also visited the Hazratbal Mosque. Again me and Neil dive into a tuk tuk and off we go, taking the short cut heading him off at the entrance to the mosque. Of course being of the female 50% of the population I could not enter the mosque but had to go to the woman's section which is a small curtained off area adjacent to the main building which looks like a building site. Anyway I could peek into the men's section but could only see the crowd around His Holiness. I am so glad that he could go inside the mosque and meet the men who were praying but again this gender discrimination is hard for me to swallow.


It was such a great experience and who would have thought that after years in India in McLeod Ganj where His Holiness lives that I would get so close to him in Muslim majority Kashmir.?

You Tube Link to This mornings visit of His Holiness the Dalai Lama at the resting place of Sheikh Mohammed Abduallah (The Lion of Kashmir) the first Chief Minister of Kashmir after the Indian Partition   http://youtu.be/-cliEBYGq3A

You Tube Link to this mornigns visit of  His Holiness the Dalai Lama to the resting place of Begum Akbar Jehan Abdullah, (The kind Mother; The  wife of Sheik Muhammad Abdullah.)    http://youtu.be/2lmj2RUEw5w 

No comments:

Post a Comment