Saturday, June 9, 2012

The weekend.
So all is going good at HELP foundation. I am on call with Childline, so when calls come in they
will let me know. I may have the chance to assist children when they are picked up, let's see what happens. In the mean time, I am contributing to the Widows and Orphans Program which is to be implemented in Kupwara, also the next training will be in about 10 days, so I will probably be going out to the region again. The widows and orphans program is a huge undertaking. Apparently there are many widows and orphans in the area but many have not received any help from government schemes because they either do not know about the schemes or they are far into the county side where the electric lines do not go and cannot get into town. So HELP wants to do a survey of every household in the area in an attempt to locate these widows and orphans so they can  help them get enrolled in government schemes which can give them financial help or HELP themselves can get involved in assisting them. So this past few days has been meeting that team, concocting questionnaires, making a training manual for the interviewers, planning the logistics of such a project and of course the costs. Hey I have never done this before so I am learning lots and the team seem to be happy to have my input and ideas. One of the guys after looking at my questionnaire  laughed and said that even the government does not have such an in depth and easy questionnaire. So looks like I will be busy here which is just what I wanted.

This week has also been tough in that I have been getting a lot of harassment from people of the male gender and I mean a lot. I think it is because the guys are so happy to be busy and to have the tourist business back after years of curfew. Trouble is I think the extra business and extra cash in hand has set off  all male macho hormone's into hyperdrive. Every time I step out I have to endure, leering, lustful or judgemental stares and sexual comments from men pedestrians Indian armed personnel in the bunkers on street corners as well as the drivers of cars, bikes and autorickshaw drivers who drive so close to me and shout comments. It is becoming a real pain. What cracks me up is that I am not tall, blonde, beautiful and 20 something so these hormone crazed boys, of all ages must be completely blind or completely mentally disturbed. Om Mani Padme Hug  and universe give me strength to deal with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment