Sunday, March 18, 2012


I am glad to say that after another week of aches and pains that this wee body is beginning to function better on the yoga mat. I just never realized I was so stiff, but now touching toes is a breeze; okay well maybe not a breeze yet but give me another week.  I am enjoying learning and seeing how the body adapts pretty quickly to postures, but it is an effort. It has also been so hot and humid this week and people on the course have suffered from exhaustion, sicknesses, muscle injuries, vertigo. A few folks skipped classes, in particular the meditation class at 6.30 am and that philosophy class from 11am till 1pm is just the toughest part of the day. The week seems to have been tough on everyone, I got grumpy and frustrated but I was luck to have a wee distraction this week. Ashley’s sister Kacey, from San Francisco showed up in Goa  yahoo!!!   So we had a couple of dinners out and drinks, chatted about her travel plans and experiences of all the weird things that happen in India, as well as discuss just how tough the job market is in the USA and how these days employers demand their pound and a half of flesh for every dollar in wages they give. We both seem to be making career decisions as well as decision about whether to stay in the USA or not, so it was great to chat and have a few laughs, at ourselves and life in general. Anyway I was glad of her visit and came back to the yoga mat revived. So thanks Kacey and safe travels on your adventures, I am looking forward to reading your blog. Kaceys Blog is    www.jaidecouvert.tumblr.com
This week we also began to make up our own yoga routines and teach the others in the class. This was a bit verve wracking and for as easy as teaching yoga looks  it is pretty darn hard to remember  the order of poses, if it is the turn of the right or left arm to go forward or backward and if it is a breath in or out. Needless to say I had my group of three all out of sink and laughing at my fumbling of instruction, with a strong Scottish accent. I guess my accent get pretty think when I am thinking out loud. I was just happy to be able to give folks a laugh.
trying to get in knots

What else now; have got in an application to volunteer with an NGO in Delhi called Apne Aap, which works to end sex trafficking in India. It was funny but I met the founder in Washington the day before I left for India; she was giving a talk at the Wilson Centre. So I have been cashing her by e-mail for the past few months and hopefully it will all work out for me to be volunteering with them in Delhi from April to June  pe Apne Aap.   A Grassroot Movement end Sex Traffiking.   http://apneaap.org/index.php

I also this week go an e-mail from Vinita who is also working to end sex slavery but in Nepal. Her NGO is called Anarardristi. Antardristi Nepal is a project run by women with an aim to offer support to sexually abused survivors, both women and Children.  www.antardristi.com.np She is also doing some amazing work on a shoestring. I would love to get up to Nepal and work with her too, hopefully someday soon. Lets see where I end up.


Good news also from the idea on a woman sanctuary in Bodhgaya. The founder for the NGO I volunteered with, likes the idea and will pursue funding. I will meet him in Delhi in a few weeks. So I am very happy about that and lets see where this goes. In the mean time I have to perfect his downward facing dog pose and remember tomorrows sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment