Friday, December 30, 2011

Bodhgaya, Bihar. Dec. 30th

After a really great xmas with family, complete with a lots of laughs and good chats, a fantastic dinner and surprisingly warm and sunny weather in which I really got to appreciate the beauty of Fraserburgh, leaving Scotland wrenched at the heart strings. This just made entry into India all the more surreal.
It has been a full on assault of the senses, from the first whiff of pollution as you exit the plane, the no rules driving while avoiding cows, rickshaws, pedestrians, ox drawn carts and trucks, to the blaring Bollywood music at 1am. It takes at least five days to settle in and today is day 2 and I am pooped; maybe I need some more overly sugared chai. Regardless, I am so very happy to be here amongst the mass of humanity gathering here  for Kalachakra 2012. I have been coming to this village since 1996 and it has grown immensely since then. I feel fortunate to have memories of a time when it was small and intimate. I have witnesses some local kids grow up and it feels nice that the shopkeepers, street sellers and even beggars remember my name and always want to take time out for tea and a chat.
I knew it would be busy here but it has gone beyond my expectations. There are 4 huge tent areas one of which boasts accommodation for 40, 000 people, every hotel is full and rooms in family homes let. In the pedestrian areas I was literally walking in a sea of people but for all this busyness, inside the grounds of the main temple is peaceful because this year playing loud music and using megaphones to recite prayers has been banned, Thank you to whom ever came up with that brilliant idea !
Today I got orientated; found the quick path through the village and the fields to my favorite restaurant and the field where the teachings will take place. Then I topped up the pre-paid phone with 200 rupees, bought a foam pad,blanket, torch, cup, washing powder and 2 breathing mask as the dust is as bad as ever and will only get worse. I also met some very dear friends on the way and caught up with their news, however seems that many of the western Buddhist are staying away this year, claiming it is just too busy, too expensive and just way too much hassle; so let’s see how I survive.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year sweetie, enjoy your stay, wish i could be there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda,
    this is your neighbor from back home in DC. Just dropped by to say Happy New Year. Hope you're having a blast.
    afifa

    ReplyDelete